Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My journey to Lasik - struggles before and opinions after surgery

I've worn glasses since grade school, I think some time around 3rd grade. When I turned 15, I got contacts! I love loved them. I tried fun colored ones, I fell in love with sunglasses, and felt great.
At some point in 2012, in my second year of law school, I started to get some weird symptoms. My eyes were extremely dry, and stung pretty bad. Thankfully, my husband had treated me to some fancy new Burberry glasses, so while studying for finals, I wore my glasses. When I tried to wear contacts during winter break, my eyes got SUPER bloodshot and swollen. You only get one set of eyes so I did not mess around. I went to the ophthalmologist right away and got prescription eye drops. After the script, I tried wearing contacts and could only wear them a few days before the symptoms returned. I tried the same pattern multiple times before, pretty soon, I couldn't even wear my contacts for an hour before they would be unbearable.
The ophthalmologist recommended we try hard contacts. I have an aunt that wears those, and while she seems to always puts drops in, she lives a very active life and seems to love them. I had heard that I would not be able to wear them while doing a lot of reading or computer work - pretty much all you do as an attorney, or Beachbody coach!! But I was willing to try them. I spent a year getting fitted for hard contacts and running tests. After finally finding a pair that fit in 2014, I purchased them. I was excited to be able to wear sunglasses again! But then I noticed, hard contacts are NEEDY and FINICKY! I couldn't rub my eyes at all, I couldn't wear them on the motorcycle, if they got too dry they would pop out, if I got ANY water in them they would HURT, I still couldn't wear them to read or do computer work for any length of time, and I was constantly putting artificial tears in.
I tried to wear them for special occasions but I found that I was just uncomfortable and always fussing with them.

I started seeing more and more of my friends RAVING about LASIK. I started some testing and before I knew it, I was in preop getting ready! Here are my thoughts so far:
The procedure was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. All pain was managed through a little ibprofen. The whole appointment, including preop and postop, was less than 2 hours. I needed to keep my eyes closed for 3 hours (without sleeping! That was hard haha). I was pretty uncomfortable for the first 4-5 hours. but by dinner I was eating with the family while sporting some very fancy (NOT!) sunglasses. I have to wear some plastic protectors over my eyes when I sleep so that I don't bump my eyes. I must say, between my mouth guard and these eye protectors, I am a hot mess!
My next day follow up went well. I was very impressed that when I showed some slight inflammation, the doctor added an extra follow up a few days later.
It appears as though I have a condition called Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. This seems to pretty common and may get worse after Lasik. Fortunately it seems manageable and temporary. With a small dose of a tetracycline, some Flax seed oil and some preservative free tears, I should be good to go in a few weeks!
As of right now, 5 days postop, I am registering at 20/20. My vision is a little cloudy when they feel dry, but it gets better with the tears. It is also a little "halo"ish at night, but all of these things will get better with time!

I am very excited about my progress and I will continue to eat clean, drink my Shakeology and take all of my medications. I need to make sure I am healthy, inside and out, to make sure I am healthy and able to heal!

No comments:

Post a Comment