Monday, August 10, 2015

Veggie Lasagna

When I think of comfort food, one of the first things I think of is a nice warm cheesy lasagna! So here is a version that is packed with veggies instead of packed with carbs and greasy meat!

I have tried it without any noodles and it doesn't hold its consistency. So if you can see, I just have two layers of noodles. That way it holds together better, but is a fraction of the carbs!

 I precooked the spaghetti squash. If you don't, you can't get it out. Cut the squash in half, put a few teaspoons of water, then covered in tin foil. Bake at 425 for about an hour. (You can steam in the microwave if you know how)


I sauteed my veggies - I used peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, and corn. But I have used broccoli and asparagus in the past. It's really whatever veggies you want!



I also steamed some spinach to use in the cheese mixture. I only steamed it for about a minute.

Precook the noodles. I only used about half a box because I only did two layers of them.

 The cheese mixture is similar regular lasagna. 16 ounces of low fat cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning, 1.5 teaspoons of dried basil, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 cup of low sodium Mozzarella, .5 cup Parmesan and the steamed spinach.


 Then layer everything similar to a regular lasagna. Pour some low sodium canned tomatoes down first, then veggies, cheese, and your first layer of noodles. Keep layering and top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven at 375 until top is golden brown.


The great thing about this recipe is how customizable it is. I know I'm not very good at making recipes, but I am really good at taking recipes and customizing them! Use veggies that you love; try goat cheese instead of mozzarella, make it your own and enjoy!

If you have any great ideas on how to make this your own, I would love to hear about it! Leave me a comment and tell me what you used!


No comments:

Post a Comment