Friday, January 23, 2015

Spaghetti or Veggetti

So call me weird, but I really wanted a Veggetti for Christmas. Have you heard of them? It's like spaghetti but made out of squash. I didn't know at the time that you could do other things with it, I just wanted it to experiment in the kitchen! I love cooking, and I love clean eating. I gave up white pastas a long time ago, and its hard to find a wheat pasta that doesn't taste gritty. So I wanted to give this thing a try.



So I got one! But now what was I going to do with it... Well I finally got the chance to bust this thing open! Like a typical female, I had to read the instructions first. After reading them cover to cover, I was ready. I had looked up a yummy pasta primavera recipe, and how to cook this yummy pasta substitute.




So here are my thoughts and my yummy recipe.

 I used two "small" zucchini. It's pretty self-explanatory to use. The little recipe book says that it only takes 2-3 minutes to sautee zucchini "noodles" so I set them aside in a bowl. Side-note - I tried to use carrots. It didn't work well. I felt like the carrots were just "smushing," not spiraling.

In one skillet I had a Tbsp of coconut oil heating. I added 2 diced garlic cloves and added it to the hot oil. I added two diced onions, and 4 peeled, sliced carrots. Then I added some organic chicken. and browned it.


I'll admit it, I cheated! I used Newman's Own Alfredo sauce. Normally I am all about making things from scratch - but alfredo sauce is something I can't do. It burns, or is too watery, or has so much garlic it's spicy, or just tastes like milk. So anyway, I dumped the jar of alfredo sauce in the skillet. I let that all blend together. When the family was ready to eat and the table was set, I started the last step.

I added the zucchini noodles to a hot skillet.


Meanwhile, I added some fresh mushrooms, some spinach, and some cherry tomatoes to the alfredo mixture. You have to add the spinach at the last minute because you don't want it to be too wilty. And the tomatoes taste better if they don't lose their firm texture.



So here is the final result! It was a big hit! Even my 90 year old "ol' fashion" grandma liked it!






One of the things you will need to learn about me now is that I don't always use measurements. I take that back - I hardly ever use measurements...! :)

So there it is - my first blog about healthy recipes. I LOVE to cook, so there will be tons more!

I hope you try it, and I hope you like it!

Are you looking for some vegan recipes?? Click below!

No comments:

Post a Comment